Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Thinking Out of the Box

This is the background on my computer:


Thanks, you.

This background sustained me though my final weeks of design school. It kept me willing to think of and try new things within my final projects. Now, with the phrase running through my mind every day, I'm discovering more out-of-the-box designs. Here's a look at a couple that have caught my attention.

Thanks, Contemporist

CUBE Architects designed the bookshelves for a book store in the Netherlands.  What most impresses me about this is that CUBE maintained the practical needs of a bookstore within and still managed to shine a creative (and bright!) light on the bookshelves. They certainly reinvented a magnificent wheel.

Thanks, Anna Kern

The stark contrast of black to white has its edge taken off by the natural materials in this loft. And anyone who can feel secure painting a wall black deserves a round of applause.



Jonathan Alder has intrigued me for years. Though he is a world-renowned creator of pottery, fabrics, and interiors, his designs remain...graspable. That is a made up word, I know. They look as if they are filled with collections of pieces purchased because the owner loved them and the thought of "where will this go?" and "what does this go with?" was thought about after the fact. 

"I think a room should be 95 percent chic. There needs to be a solid 
foundation of good design, functionality, and harmony. Then you 
have the remaining 5 percent to layer on a playful vibe. 
If a room is merely playful it's usually wildly unchic. Conversely, if it's 
too chic it's dry and off-putting. I try to strike the perfect balance of 
chic and cheeky — an inclusive, unsnobby sort of buoyant spirit." 
Jonathan Alder

No comments:

Post a Comment