Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

Craigslist Lovin'

Despite my somewhat abusive relationship with Craigslist (notably called Tedslist, as in Ted Bundy, by my brother) I can't stop searching it's unorganized pages full of usually ugly items and always misspelled words. My latest fiasco has been in the pages of CL Worldwide, where I peek through the doors of available rooms in London and Paris and South Africa. Feel free to leave comments telling me how stupid I am, but not until you look at this:

 If I were living here I'd probably add a few rugs to ground the furnishings into place and create spaces that look intentionally separated rather than their current sparse feel, but I'll let it slide this time.

Yeah right. Good luck trying to sell a room with that pathetic view...

I love the quirkiness of this apartment and the character that is visible everywhere you look. What I've discovered is that the items with character generally don't cost much more, but they are more difficult to find. Creating a home that is uniquely you takes a lot of time and even more patience but the end result will be something you will love far longer than some run of the mill furnishing. For as long as I remember my mom has told me that you can't finish your home in one weekend. My parents have lived in their home for nine years now and it's still a work in progress (my dad loves that, don't you dad). But that search for the right piece and the patience of waiting for an item to go on sale has resulted in a beautiful home that so many visitors admire. Stick it out people. Wait for the charming armchair like the one above to finally grace your presence, keep searching for the perfect mirror for above your fireplace. And for heaven sakes, if you learn nothing from this and the past post, let your character ooze into every corner of your home. Including your floors. (those floors!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to you I am now looking at Craigslist apartments in Paris instead of doing homework. But honestly, thank you.

    ReplyDelete