Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Smorgasbord of Headboards

Some say it comes when you first start supporting yourself, some say it is when you turn twenty-one, but I think the mark of adulthood comes when your bed has a headboard attached.

But I think I'm doing it backwards. I have cheated the system. I have gone back to a life of living at home after being away for a few years - something that seems a bit more adult-like than living under the roof of my parents - and yet, now I get a headboard. I'm not complaining one bit. I'm merely commenting on how I longed for a headboard during my years of a lumpy mattress balanced precariously on cinderblocks. I'll consider it my graduation present.

While a headboard can be a steep purchase for someone bouncing from apartment to white-walled apartment, the sacrifice doesn't have to be made completely. Below are a few creative and do-able headboards for a less than expensive price:

               A display of things you love                                A piece of fabric draped over a rod 

        A fireplace mantle       A jumbled collection of cool things         Simple, yet bold artwork

                      A wire room divider                         A framed chalkboard. Especially useful for an artist.

I find joy in making things work. It is such a pleasure to have to think around a problem to find a non-conventional solution. But for now, I'll stick with my real life adult headboard.

1 comment:

  1. i love your bed at home! i want to see a picture of your new headboard. and my goodness that very first picture.... heaven above a bed.

    ReplyDelete