Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Blind-date Boy and the Balcony

Once upon a time I was set up with a boy who had a balcony overlooking all of Salt Lake City. Every time I went to his house I found myself planning it so we eventually made it to the balcony - rain or shine, day or night. You guys, it was incredible. I loved it out there. However, that was the only thing I loved about my time with him. And I'll admit, I went on those last dates just for the balcony. It was hard to say goodbye.

The balcony stayed in my mind far longer than he did, and since then, my interest in designing outdoors has been peaked. Here are some tips to keep in mind when creating your own outdoor living space.

The Purpose
Be it for gardening, grilling and dining, poolside afternoons, a play ground for the kids, relaxing, or parties, having a clear purpose in mind will help your outdoor space to become beautiful and useful.

1 and 2

Space
Obviously you have what you have. Rather than wishing and hoping for a different shape or size, keep these tips in mind and think outside the box. Surely we can come up with something and make it work.



Comfortable Seating
Hammock, day bed, cushioned chairs, sofa set, or poufs. If it's not comfortable, you won't want to spend time out there.



Color
What colors and patterns would you like to use to accent to the natural beauty of the outdoors?


Landscape
Remember, you are outside. Let nature have a say in the space.

1, 2, 3

Lighting
Floor lamps, overhead lighting, spotlights, candles, lanterns, or Christmas lights. They not only make the space useable in the evening hours, but can help set just the right mood.




Shade
And if you live in a warm place, misters are awfully helpful


No comments:

Post a Comment