Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fear Factor

I once had a conversation with someone about the weird, irrational fears we each have. This conversation was held in the most covert of circumstances in the most hushed of voices, but I am going to break that confidence for the sake of a new post.

His fear was aliens.

He said when he was young he watched a movie on aliens and since that time, the fear of an unknown creature from another planet walking (hovering?) into his bedroom at night has haunted him. I laughed aplenty.

With a hesitant voice, I told him my fear. My most irrational fear is that someone would seek to avenge me for some wrong doing and cut off my eyelashes. He stared at me with a puzzled look because guys don't generally think about their eyelashes, but I tell you what, I have had very realistic nightmares about needing to rewrite my entire "getting ready" schedule to work around a new lack of eyelashes. I have a feeling only girls will sympathize with me in this.

Another fear that I have is the 1990's. Especially the 1990's style of home. It makes me claustrophobic walking into a peach room with blue tone-on-tone striped sofa sets and scalloped valances. Very little good came out of the 90's.

The indian boy in the corner is the perfect touch.


This room reminds me of uncomfortable birthday parties with elementary school classmates.



And this - this room has a poignant reminder of those late nights babysitting in a home that does very little similar to the way your own home runs. I always wished those parents would come home early.



Cane. Cane and no area rugs. Even the sunshine was grosser in the 90's.



Collecting these pictures was the most unpleasant way I could have spent my time.

But this makes me wonder about the trends. They are good at the time that they are good (great sentence, Emily), but come a new decade they are generally frowned upon. Great efforts are taken to rid ones home, wardrobe, fridge and hair roots of what was once all the rage. So, people, are there things you can see now becoming a forbidden and embarrassing trend of the 2010's? I have some ideas that I will share at another time.

3 comments:

  1. I am laughing so hard right now. Good post man, good post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually think about this often, but in fashion sense. Ever noticed that we dressed bum UGLY in junior high and high school? Our parents dressed us decently cute in the late 80s because there was a specific style, but the 90s and the first decade of the 2000s was dreadfully style-less! I look at girls in high school now and I realize the style is just completely different because there actually IS style. Homes look nicer now because there is an actual WAY to decorate. Everyone has a different style (which I love.. even though there are certain popular trends (i.e. chevron pattern, hah), there are so many different things that can go together.) I just think there is actually style now... in the fashion and home industry... and there wasn't before. But maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my god, so true. I think about all this so often , trying to figure out family pictures when I looked really stupid , and when I thought I did look stupid but did not . And the ubiquitous Home Depot store , seems quilty of the all over "Pottery Barn" look everywhere. I love going to homes where they seem to not know any of the "NOW" looks, and everything is gloriously eccentric , as if they just left Italy with reproduction statues and brocades in glaring colors that are just them , and they are not aware how different and even strange it seems "NOW". I am so sick of " TAUPE". Death to taupe.J.K.

    ReplyDelete