Pages

Friday, April 13, 2012

Out of Doors

It is not the orange blossoms popping up on the ivy on my house, nor is it the warm breeze coming in through my open window that whisper of winter's end. Instead, I had a harsh slap in the face when I slipped into a swimsuit last weekend and discovered such sharp contrast between my transparently white skin to the black sheen on the fabric. But I am terribly aware that no matter how long spring and summer last, the only way this contrast will fade is if my swimsuit is bleached lighter by the sun. Heaven knows the sun cannot do anything to bronze this gal.


While I'm never eager to let coats, jackets, tights and scarves leave my daily wardrobe, the thought of summer nights spent outdoors is making the transition a bit easier. If you didn't catch my post last spring with tips and tricks to spice up your outdoor area, take a look. Today, I have a few before and after pictures to instill some hope for those who feel they have a long way to go before they can relax on their porch.


A tip from the designer: 
"My favorite piece of furniture is the beanbag ottoman. It can serve as a footrest, a table, or extra seating. Depending on how often you clean your porch, the bottom may get a dirty. I recommend putting a towel underneath to help protect the fabric."



"Husband and wife designer-landscape architect team discovered additional space when they gave their old detached two-car garage a new role as an office and studio. The remodel enlarged the building to include a bathroom, a loft, and a small rood deck so it can double as guest quarters. It can also still function as a garage thanks to a set of glass-paneled Dutch doors opening on the plywood paneled office side. The spare, contemporary aesthetic - the doors, simple exposed-wood framing, visible pipes, and industrial-style lighting - kept costs down."



"Before its transformation, tumbleweeds had more fun on this deck than people did. There was no privacy, no ambience, no plants - just minimal seating that offered a less-than-stunning view of the adjacent carport."

A tip from the owner:
"Other than a grill, one of the best pieces to have on your deck or patio is a buffet. The inside can be used for storage so you don't have to make so many trips to the kitchen when you have guests over."


Which space do you most easily see yourself relaxing in?

No comments:

Post a Comment