Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Palos Verdes, California

While in the LA area for the Bon Iver concert, we thought it prudent to follow my grandfather's old commute and my mother's high school memories to a little place called Palos Verdes, California.

Stunning.

My mother grew up in Palos Verdes while my grandfather worked as a professional in the broadcasting industry in Los Angeles. Because of her upbringing there I have heard about this place for my entire life, but it wasn't until this past week that I had the opportunity to visit. I have laughed as my father has made quips about my mother waking up to a view of the ocean from her bedroom window in comparison to his waking up to a view of the six dusty siblings and four dogs that he shared a bedroom with, or how my mother had classmates who spent their mornings surfing before school while he was out milking the goats. Both sides are true...


One thing I enjoyed was the diversity of each home. While they all maintained a strict standard of class and elegance, each home stood strong as its own character, whether it was the charm of the East Coast, mimicking the tonal style of a Spanish villa, or a chic farmhouse with a wrap around porch.



The well-manicured yards and gardens would be enough to admire were the homes, cliffs, and ocean taken out of the mix. Each home was accompanied by budding roses, sprawling vines, neatly mowed lawns, and perfectly trimmed hedges.

 Once again, a photograph proving that California laughs when I try to have some
control over my hair. And also, showing off the cliffs near my mother's high school.


After seeing the views she had while growing up, I now understand why it may have been a difficult transition moving to Las Vegas, a city made almost entirely of cement blocks.

Oh, and during our perusing, I noticed a home or two for sale. If anyone wants to go in on it together, I can chip in about...$6.

3 comments:

  1. This confirms it...why DO we still in this desert???

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way, i LOVE your hair in these CA pictures. i think it's so romantically wispy and carefree. absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete