Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

My Labor Day Weekend



A few years ago my sisters and I spent a week together in D.C. It was there, while visiting Theodore Roosevelt Island, that I found my happy place. Giant trees form a green sky above the granite tablets with etchings of some of Roosevelt's more famous quotes. Unfortunately, that particular happy place is a long and uncomfortable flight away. And on an island. I don't expect to visit very often.



However, my parents recently purchased a lovely cabin in Zion National Park. Quiet and secluded, it is the perfect location for spending the occasional weekend away. The cabin is a place where time seems to stand still. Apart from a few practical modern day comforts, it seems to act as a transporter into decades past - the women happily prepare meals for the family, the men chop wood and keep the fire warm, books are read with the dog sleeping peacefully at the readers feet, and all the while the record player is softly humming Simon & Garfunkel or The Carpenters. It is a place where the natural good has time to show its face without Distraction there to rear its head.

This weekend was spent at the cabin playing a few rounds of Take Two around the table, watching The Killers live at Royal Albert Hall, canoeing on Navajo Lake (way harder than it seems), and trying to ignore the adorable meowing of the kitten that perched itself in an open window at church. 

  
While at our cabin, the days are spent simply and joyfully, and it has quickly become a happy place of mine. Do you have a happy place? 



By the way, if you would like your happy place to be next door to mine, and if you have a few dollars to spare, my neighbors cabin is for sale.

.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE! That place sounds so peaceful and relaxing. I hope we can spend our girl weekend there! P.S. I also love those pictures... is it an iPhone app? I love the coloring and the rounded corners... me want. You explain? Gracias.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our girls weekend would be magical at the cabin! All the photos are done on instagram, but I rounded some of the corners myself. Get an iPhone, if only for instagram.

    ReplyDelete