Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Baby Baby

Disclaimer: Yesterday I got to hold my cousin's baby boy. Hence these thoughts that I am nowhere close to needing to have.

Nurseries!

When I used to babysit my little cousin, Cassidy, I always loved spending time in her nursery. It felt like a sanctuary in the home - accent lighting, a cohesive scheme, and always the perfect temperature. At the end of the day, once all the kids in the cul-de-sac went home and I fed my responsibilities dinner, I'd allow the older kids to finally watch television - probably Power Rangers - while I'd sneak away into the cozy nursery and take way too long putting the little blonde baby to bed. That's when I knew I would have accent lighting in my bedrooms and I'd always let the air conditioning run at 72.


Tips and Tricks

1.   Use as many non-baby items as possible. Ease the burden of needing to redecorate in a few years and make the room capable of changing and growing with your little one. 


2.   Everything is more chaotic and difficult to manage when that adorable little baby is screaming. Make those times easier by making the nursery serene in your lighting choices, calm with your colors and patterns, and very user friendly. You'll appreciate the organization later.


3.   My favorite type of design is the unisex style - the kind where men can feel like men, what with all the natural woods and basic shapes, and woman can still enjoy beauty. Try to keep the nursery gender neutral so it can easily transfer between boys and girls. It will save greatly on costs and need for storage.


4.   One of the easiest ways to make an otherwise sophisticated nursery into a playful and young environment is through the accessories and wall art. Consider shadow boxes of baby items. Create a memorable nook by framing pictures of your family members as children. Etsy is home to an overwhelming selection of baby-friendly artwork. Frame artwork from your older children and display them in the nursery. All those things are easy to replace and take down but will significantly change the feel of the space.


5.   If you are going to paint, do so early to avoid your baby breathing in harmful VOC's. Plus, it will then give you time to live with the color and be sure that it is exactly what you want.


2 comments:

  1. i LOVE gender-neutral nurseries. i'm so sick of pink everywhere! haha. love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah! i really like your nursery board! i adore the ample amounts of textural woods; that and the color scheme really keep it from looking too cutesy. but the artwork adds just enough of a whimsical touch to make it child-like. i love it!

    ReplyDelete