Pages

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Not Too Big, Not Too Small

I've been thinking a lot lately about the beauty in having less, specifically in the thought of having a smaller home.  This thought came to me when I moved into my new house in Salt Lake.  My current room is miniscule. In fact, I can lie on my floor and touch two walls at one time, and I am a human of smaller height proportions.  I enjoyed the process of making this box my home and using every inch to my advantage, especially while "building" my own closet.

We focus a lot on smaller spaces in my schooling and one book specifically has been mentioned in many of my classes - Not So Big House. The simplicity in having only that which you need/really, really want and making use of every corner is appealing, not to mention the peace of mind in getting a mortgage paid off quickly.

I came across a tiny, Victorian cottage that does just that. It is small, lovely, and practical for the shorter amounts of time that it is being used.  The owners, Todd & Sandra Foster, maintained their smaller budget by doing the carpentry themselves (obviously they have the skills in order to do that), salvaging preowned items and refinishing them to fit the shabby chic style, and scouring flea markets for many gems under $20.



{thanks, New York Times}

Why does this work?

  • White-on-white-on-white can get dull and tiresome, but The Foster's used texture to avoid the feeling of a sterile hospital. 
  • Texture creates more life, so when you want to create contrast with a monochromatic color scheme, mix it up with some lace, velvet, matelasse and moire fabrics, and sanded, striped, or glossy and patterned paints. Even the antique floors and windows have texture.
  • They were lucky to have a space with high ceilings and a lot of windows. Light, either natural or artificial, will help open up a space because everything is made visible.
  • Using a monochromatic color scheme with pops of color ties each piece into the next for a more uniform space. Imagine if a space this small had varying colors. It would seem a bit too messy for my tastes.

1 comment:

  1. Well this is funny! I asked for this cottage for Christmas!
    I love your blog, Emily. I'm so excited that you are sharing your genius with the internet, and therefore, me.

    ReplyDelete