Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Soho House New York


Located in New York is Soho House, a private member's club and hotel in Manhattan's Meatpacking District. The Soho House was "born out of a reaction to the pomposity of the traditional private members club." In an area where private clubs are generally made of a similar crowd - a place for corporate men and women to gather together in their suits to drink some brandy, this private social club has a strict requirement allowing only those working in a creative, unconventional field to qualify for a membership.


I was in a club once. Meetings were held beneath the tree in my grandparent's front yard. We gathered once or twice to discuss in hushed voices what game we should play next. 


I was in another club too, one that met in the closet beneath the stairs in my old house. That club never got further than calling itself a club. 


Soho House has a history far greater than either of my wimpy clubs.


While the Soho House is certainly not in want of money, the designers did an excellent job at keeping the space from feeling like a ritzy museum. Their intention of a comfortable and cozy feel is evident in every room of this renovated factory. They maintained the original brick and aged wood as part of the space and chose inordinate amounts of tufted sofas and arm chairs, detail-ridden ceilings, ridiculously cool light fixtures, and a mix-and-match style to highlight the existing features. 


I'm pretty sure this place is home to every chair crush I have ever had.


4 comments:

  1. This club is amazing. Warm & cozy. I like your wimpy clubs too! Good writings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Posting Alert: Love SoHo house and all but I'm over it. New goods. New goods. New goods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like it. groucho marx once said, "I wouldn’t want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." fortunately, this applies to this club for me so i can love it. :) and i do.

    ReplyDelete