Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

If you google "nightstand" you'll find a forum for men explaining to other men how to get a one night stand

Last night, after I finished writing some thoughts, I turned to place my notebook on my nightstand like a normal human. But what wasn't normal was that amidst the other notebooks, other pens, and other books, I could not find a sturdy place to place this notebook.

What I saw on my nightstand both shocked and satisfied me. The lack of organization shocked me, but the contents made me happy.

It reminded me of an article I read in House Beautiful where designers showed the readers a picture of their nightstand to give the readers a feel for the designers "real" life. Things between me and House Beautiful were already on the rocky side - I was ready for our time to be up, but I had made a commitment for a year long relationship with the subscription and I had to stick it out. That article did nothing to light the fire we once shared. It was filled with pictures of perfectly staged nightstands with fresh flowers, dust-free picture frames*, and a pair of spectacles** lying oh-so-neatly beside a glass of water, no doubt fetched from the well that very morning.

Nope, I had it. We were through.


Now this. THIS nightstand is a look into real life. On my nightstand was a jumble of books, papers and notebooks, all of which have been used recently. Each book has a paper marking where I left off and each notebook has a pen in it ready to be used when I have a thought come to me. I like that my room looks lived in, I like that my nightstand shows so clearly the things that I enjoy doing before I end my day.

But oh, the lack of organization!

So I got off blogger and tidied up my room.

What's on your nightstand?

* the adorable picture frame you see here (with dust so lovingly collected on it) was made for me by my friend Missy. She's really cool.
** my pair of spectacles lying oh-so-neatly on notebook #1 are are not a prop.

4 comments:

  1. :) I love your nightstand more than any other. It is so you. I just bought a nightstand actually, because I was tired of reaching down so low to charge my phone or computer. Unfortunately my nightstand isn't as lovely or down to earth as yours.. i wish i was more like you. Mine has a laptop (well, when i'm not using it like right now), a phone/charger, and a book. One book. I can only handle reading one book at a time... how do you read more than one?! I would get the stories all confused! Oh I wish I was more like you. :) I love you. Happy birthday month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you to Cindy Reid for calling me up to come dig through her trash so that I could turn it into a treasure of a nightstand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two nightstands and one has lots of Emily stuff on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mallory.. You are quite the multitasking reader. The dresser drawer closest to my bed is full of books I want to read and a box full of letters/notes/cards I sometimes dig through for a laugh or memory. I should just take the books out of the drawer and put them on top of the dresser so I can see them huh? Maybe that will keep me from pulling out my laptop so often and watching tv shows online. Bing!!! Duh. I should take them out so I will read them. Three of the books are some old school Hardy Boys books I bought at the thrift store. They look pretty awesome. I also bought a book on this trip that reminded me of you. It's an interior design book from the 70's-80's. It is a crack up. I will have to show it to you sometime

    ReplyDelete